The Free Storage Heaters Scheme is based on the ‘New for Old’ principle.
That means that you must have broken electric storage heaters installed in your property at the time that your ECO Accredited Surveyor visits your home.
If you qualify for Free Storage Heaters or a Storage Heater Grant towards the cost of replacing them, the installation company MUST be able to remove your old heaters.
Free Storage Heaters Grant Calculation
If you meet Storage Heater Grant Qualifying Criteria, your grant will be based on a number of factors, including:
- The type of home you live in, i.e, detached, semi-detached, terraced or flat.
- How many bedrooms there are in your home.
- How well insulated your home is.
- Whether it was constructed with cavity walls or solid walls.
- Whether you have other forms of heating in addition to storage heaters.
Your storage heater grant will then be compared to the cost of installing the number and size of new heaters recommended by the ECO Scheme. From this, your installer will be able to assess whether any contribution from you will be required or not. If not, you will have free storage heaters installed in your home to replace your old ones.
If you decide against making any contribution, you can withdraw your Storage Heater Grant Application without cost.